2 of my favorite things in one loaf? Stop it. Banana bread with a crunchy cinnamon topping. This bread is absolute heaven! I have made numerous variations of banana bread in my lifetime. This one along with Smitten Kitchen’s Marble Banana Bread are my top 2 faves. Both very different and insanely delicious!
I adapted this recipe and made some tweaks to make it healthier. I used whole wheat flour and nonfat greek yogurt to add more moisture. It is really dry here in Colorado so baked goods tend to come out a little drier if you don’t do it right!
This bread makes the house smell AMAZING. At our house, the kitchen vent goes right into our bedroom, and I ain’t mad about it. Especially when I have this yummy bread baking in the oven!
This Whole Wheat Cinnamon Crunch is super simple to make and is a sure crowd pleaser!!!
- 3/4 cups sugar
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 1, 6 ounce container of nonfat greek yogurt
- 2 eggs
- 3 ripe bananas, mashed
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup flour (regular or whole wheat)
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1/4 cup butter, chilled
- 1/2 cup walnuts, chopped
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Lightly grease a 9x5 inch loaf pan with cooking spray
- In bowl of electric mixer, mix sugar, oil, yogurt, eggs and bananas
- In a separate bowl, combine flour, cinnamon, baking powder and salt, mix well
- Slowly add the dry ingredients to the wet, mix until just combined, don't overmix. Set aside
- In a medium bowl, combine brown sugar, flour and cinnamon
- Using your fingers, break apart the chilled stick of butter into little bits
- Once it is broken down into the dry mix, use your fingers or a pastry cutter to break apart the butter even more and to combine all of the ingredients together
- It will be very grainy, this is ok. The brown sugar and butter will melt and create a wonderful crust
- Add the topping mix on top of the bread batter in the loaf pan, sprinkle on evenly
- Bake uncovered for 1 hour
Yes! Sign me up!
Subscribe to get our latest and greatest by email.