I am sitting here, staring at these photos, trying to figure out how to best explain how incredible this Thai Coconut Chicken Soup is. We love, love, love, Thai food in this house, and if it were up to Cam, the hotter the better. Mmmmm not for me. I like a little heat and this soup has just the perfect amount. We make some sort of Thai dish once a week, or try to anyway! I would eat it every night if I could! The sweet coconut milk combined with the heat from the chili paste and the curry flavor is truly a match made in heaven. The rice noodles soak up all of the goodness and simply creates a warming, nourishing bowl of YUM. A squeeze of lime puts it over the top. If you love Thai food, make this healthy chicken soup! Adjust the heat if you are feeding this soup to your kiddos. I am looking at these photos starving and wishing this was really in front of me right now. WAAAAHHHHHH!!!!!
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger, grated
- 3-4 tablespoons Red Curry Paste (I use 4 because I love the taste of curry!)
- 2 cooked chicken breasts or 1 roasted chicken (already cooked)
- 1 small sweet potato (about 1 lb, diced- about 1/2 inch cubes)
- 4 bunches of baby boy choy, leaves and stems separated and cut into 1 inch pieces
- 4 cups chicken broth (or veggie)
- 1 can of lite Coconut milk
- 1/2 tablespoons fish sauce
- 1/2 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1-2 tablespoons chili paste (depending on how spicy you want it)
- 1 package rice vermicelli noodles
- 1/2 red onion
- 1 lime
- fresh cilantro
- Sriracha to taste
- pepper to taste
- Chop up all of the veggies first so they are ready to go when needed!
- Mince garlic, grate ginger, peel and dice sweet potato (1 inch cubes), Wash bok chop and cut into 1 inch pieces separating the stems from leaves, thinly slice red onion, chop cilantro. Cut lime into wedges
- Add veggie oil to a large pot along with the minced garlic, grated ginger and red curry paste
- Cook on medium heat stirring constantly for 1-2 minutes
- Add the diced sweet potato, chopped boy choy STEMS (save leaves for later), chicken and broth to the pot
- Bring to a boil over medium heat then reduce, let simmer for 5-7 minutes, or until potatoes are tender
- While soup is simmering, bring another pot of water to a boil and add vermicelli noodles
- Boil for about 2 minutes (these take no time to cook)
- Drain in colander and set aside
- *I like to cook the noodles separate and add to the soup when you are ready to eat, otherwise they get mushy. This is a good rule if you plan on leftovers the next day!
- Once sweet potatoes are tender, add coconut milk, fish sauce, brown sugar, chili paste and stir
- Taste and adjust fish sauce, brown sugar, chili paste if needed
- Finally, add the bok choy leaves at the end to let them wilt in the hot soup
- Divide rice noodles into 4 bowls and ladle the soup on top
- garnish with red onion. lime. cilantro and Sriracha if needed!
Yes! Sign me up!
Subscribe to get our latest and greatest by email.