What do you think of when you think of Summer? I think of pools, BBQ’s, ice cream and CHERRIES! I was lucky enough to be one of the first cherry deliveries from my friends at Quarry Hill Orchards in Berlin Heights, Ohio.
A little about Quarry Hill Orchards…
My girlfriend Brooke, is my old sorority sister from University of Arizona. She is such a kind, sweet, creative and hard working woman. Not only does she help keep things moving and shaking on the farm, she is an incredible mother to four adorable children!
Quarry Hill Orchards is a darling, family-owned farm that has produce such as sweet cherries, raspberries, black raspberries, currants, peaches and apples. Right now they have pick-your-own cherries that you can do with your family. When Fall comes around, they have APPLES GALORE! You can also bring your family to the farm and enjoy hayrides, apple-picking and super fresh apple-cider! Absolutely sign up for their newsletter to learn more about this amazing family-owned farm!
What did I make with these deliciously juicy and sweet cherries?
With my shipment of sweet, juicy and delicious cherries, I made Sweet Cherry Galette’s! This recipe is super simple and easy to do in a pinch. You can use store bought dough or make your own. I have done it both ways! I used store-bought for my Peach & Thyme Galette from last year. It is a wonderful shortcut!
Another thing I love about this Sweet Cherry Galette, is you can make one big one and slice it like a pie, or make cute little individual galette’s which is what I have done for this recipe.
Top these adorable desserts with whatever your heart desires! You can add chocolate chips or chocolate ice cream on top, whipped cream, vanilla ice cream, almonds, whatever you like! I added almond slivers to these because cherries and almonds are magic together.
How do I get these cherries and other produce?
It’s simple! Just check out Quarry Hill Orchards website, give them a follow on Instagram and sign up for their newsletter! Order your produce on their website today!
- Chilled pie dough (see ingredients and directions below. Or use store bought)
- 3 cups Quarry Hill Orchard Cherries
- 1/3 cup brown sugar, packed
- 2 T all-purpose flour
- 1 T lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 T turbinado raw sugar
- 1 egg plus 1 T water, beaten
- Chocolate or Vanilla Ice Cream
- Powdered Sugar
- Whipped Cream
- Chocolate Fudge
- Almond Slices
- Chocolate Chips
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 T sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 stick butte, cubed and chilled
- 5 T ice water
- Combine flour, sugar and salt in a large bowl
- Add the cubed and chilled butter
- Add 1 Tablespoon of ice water and combine dough with clean hands, mushing the butter through your fingers
- Keep adding water as needed to form a dough, don't add too much water!
- Form dough into a ball and wrap in plastic wrap
- Chill in refrigerator for an hour
- Place rack in center of oven and preheat to 375 degrees F
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper
- Using a cherry pitter, pit the cherries and cut them in half
- In a bowl, combine cherries, 1/3 cup brown sugar, flour, lemon juice, almond extract and salt
- Using clean hands, gently combine ingredients, slightly mashing together. Set aside
- Place chilled dough on a lightly floured surface and cut into quarters
- Lightly flour a rolling pin and begin to roll out each quarter 1/4 of an inch thick and slightly bigger than the size of your hand
- Using a slotted spoon, fill each dough disc with a few scoops of the cherry mixture, leaving 2 inches around edge
- Fold edges up over filling creating pleats and pinching along the way
- Dip your fingers in egg wash to help the pinched part stick together
- Brush the dough with egg was and sprinkle with Turbinado Sugar
- Bake for 40 minutes or until it starts to turn golden brown
- Once it is slightly golden, remove from oven and brush a little more egg wash on the edges
- Sprinkle almond slivers on top and on edges (egg wash helps them stick to the crust)
- Place back in over and bake another 3-5 minutes until the crust it golden and almonds are slightly toasted
- Remove from oven
- Dust galette's with powdered sugar and top with ice cream!
Yes! Sign me up!
Subscribe to get our latest and greatest by email.