This is actually a great and SUPER SIMPLE dish to make even if you aren’t trying to find a home for that pasta you made too much of (like me). It is basically spaghetti baked in pie form. There are a few tweaks in the recipe you will find that is different than your run-of-the-mill spagetti. This meal is fun. whimsical, and honestly makes you feel like a giant kid! How cool is pasta shaped like a pie? It is like magic really. Your kiddos will think it is super cool! Not to mention it is easy to store, freeze and reheat for lunch the next day!
This is such an easy dinner and a super fun take on spaghetti! Spaghetti in pie form? Stop it. Your kids will love this.
15 minPrep Time
30 minCook Time
45 minTotal Time
- 1 lb spaghetti
- 1 lb 92% lean ground beef (or ground turkey)
- 1 medium yellow onion
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 cups jarred tomato marinara
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup whole milk ricotta (you can use low fat here too. I use organic because some brands have Carrageenan in it which is bad news bears, Google it. It is actually in a ton of products so read ingredients before you buy!)
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella (plus 2 T for top)
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese (plus 2 T for top)
- salt n' peppa
- basil chiffonade or parsley finley chopped
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Cook spaghetti according to package, drain, set aside
- Add a tablespoon of olive oil to a pan on medium heat, saute onions until transluscent
- Add garlic and sauté another 30 seconds until garlic is fragrant
- Place onions and garlic in a small bowl and set aside
- In same skillet, add meat and brown, about 5 minutes
- Set out paper towels on a plate, place meat on paper towel to drain fat, set aside
- In a large mixing bowl, add onions, garlic, eggs, tomato sauce, ricotta, mozzarella, parmesan and a few cracks of salt and pepper, mix well
- Fold in meat
- Add pasta and mix well using tongs, make sure all the noodles are well incorporated in the sauce
- In a 7" round springform cake dish, line the underneath part with foil to prevent anything from possibly leaking out of the bottom (see photo)
- Pour spaghetti mixture in cake dish and press down firmly with a spatula
- Sprinkle 2 T of mozzarella and parmesan on top
- Bake for 25-30 minutes, cheese should be bubbling
- Remove from oven, let it rest for about 5-10 minutes before cutting
- Top with chosen garnish
- Cut into wedges and enjoy!
Yes! Sign me up!
Subscribe to get our latest and greatest by email.