On days like today, where you wake up to wind, freezing cold temps and sideways snow, I do not want to leave my bed, let alone my house. I need warmth, comfort, and love. Now, besides my husband and dog giving me that most of the time, I need it in a cup and directly into my belly.
Warming, comforting Slow Cooker Apple Cider on chilly nights…
There is nothing like starting Slow Cooker Apple Cider in the crockpot to really lift your spirits and make your house smell AH-MAZING. It is really simple to make as well. Here…I’ll just tell you now.
Slow Cooker Apple Cider Ingredients
8 gala apples (most grocery stores have these on sale during the Fall months)
10 cups of water
5 cinnamon sticks
1 Tablespoon whole cloves
1 teaspoon whole all-spice
1/2 cup brown sugar
All you have to do is core and cut 8 apples into wedges (enter an apple corer/slicer- it is worth having for the Fall months alone). Add those to the slow cooker along with water, cinnamon sticks, cloves and all-spice and hook it on high for 3 hours.
Once the 3 hours is up, use a potato masher and mash the apple wedges inside the slow cooker. Add the brown sugar and let it cook on high for another hour.
Using a strainer or a sieve, strain out the large chunks of apples and spices so just cider is what is left. My trick to this, is I place the sieve over a large bowl and ladle the mixture from the crock pot into the strainer so the cider runs into the bowl. Once that is complete, I pour it all back into the slow cooker and set it to “warm”.
That Apple Cider smell….
Serve it warm with an apple wedge and cinnamon stick. It will warm anyone right up during these chilly days! Not to mention your house will smell like Williams Sonoma. YUM.
*Optional: ADD WHISKEY. I added Breckenridge Spiced Whiskey to mine for a party for the grown-ups (obviously). This is just as tasty without, but not as good a buzz.
- 8 Gala apples
- 10 cups water
- 5 cinnamon sticks
- 1 Tablespoon whole cloves
- 1 teaspoon whole all-spice
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- Wash and dry 8 Gala apples
- Using an apple corer/slicer, cut all 8 apples into wedges (you can cut by hand here too)
- Add apple wedges, water, cinnamon sticks, all-spice and cloves to the slow cooker
- Set the slow cooker to high and cook for 3 hours
- After 3 hours, use a potato masher and mash up the apples inside the slow cooker, careful not to splatter hot liquid on yourself
- Once all of the apples are mashed up, add the brown sugar and give it a stir
- Put lid back on and let it cook on high for another hour
- Place a strainer or sieve over a large bowl
- Slowly ladle the crockpot mixture into the strainer to separate the spices and mashed apple
- Once you have poured all of the slow cooker mixture through the strainer so just liquid is in the bowl, pour the liquid back in to the slow cooker
- cover and set to "warm" until ready to serve
- Serve with an apple wedge and cinnamon stick
- Add a shot of whiskey or bourbon to make this an adult beverage
Yes! Sign me up!
Subscribe to get our latest and greatest by email.