Yep. Skinny. Well…skinny-ish. There is no butter in these glorious cupcakes and are made with nonfat greek yogurt and zucchini! I used a little coconut oil to replace the butter. Whole wheat pastry flour in place of white, and light brown sugar in place of white sugar (there are certain minerals in brown sugar as opposed to white, notably calcium, potassium, iron and magnesium, but these are present in minuscule amount, so there is not a huge benefit to brown sugar over white. Brown sugar contains molasses which I think enhances the flavor!) That is where the “ish” part comes in, there are still sugars in these cupcakes. Just much less than the norm!
The peanut butter frosting helps take the cupcakes to the next level. Made with Greek Yogurt Cream Cheese instead of regular, and organic natural peanut butter (I know, eyeroll. But when I investigated it really was around the same price as buying a brand name peanut butter with extra sugars and other random ingredients we can’t pronounce). I love the peanut butter out of the grinder at my grocery store. It is just that, crushed up peanuts. Simple, one ingredient. Boom.
I love these because the zucchini and greek yogurt give the cupcakes extra moisture. I licked the mixing panel and didn’t even feel guilty whatsoever. Although….salmonella. But I think that is a myth. I’ve been licking raw dough since I was itty bitty!
Here comes the frosting!
Not only are these a skinny version of a chocolate cupcake, they are seriously some of the BEST chocolate cupcakes ever!!! Super moist, chocolatey, rich and full of vitamins and minerals! Made with greek yogurt, zucchini and love.
20 minPrep Time
25 minCook Time
45 minTotal Time
- 1 cup whole wheat pastry flour (all-purpose flour will work here too if you don't have whole wheat)
- 1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup light brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 1 egg
- 1 egg white
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/3 cup nonfat plain greek yogurt
- 1 cup shredded zucchini- squeeze out as much water as you can
- Peanut Butter Cream Cheese Frosting
- 4 ounces low fat cream cheese-softened (I used the Greek Yogurt Cream Cheese, less fat than the lowfat and more flavor)
- 2 tablespoons nonfat plain greek yogurt
- 4 tablespoons natural peanut butter
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Combine flour, sugar, cocoa powder, soda, and salt in a bowl, mix well
- Add oil, eggs, vanilla, yogurt to same bowl and mix well using an electric mixer
- Add zucchini and fold into batter
- Fold in dark chocolate chips
- Using cupcake liners (or squares of parchment paper like photos above), spray liner with cooking spray and fill with. batter 3/4 of the way full
- Bake for 20-25 minutes, do the toothpick test. If toothpick comes out clean, they are done
- PEANUT BUTTER CREAM CHEESE FROSTING
- Toss all ingredients in a bowl and mix well
- Using a piping bag (or ziplock bag, add frosting and decorate. If using a ziplock, full baggie half fill and cut one of the corners to create a piping bag
- Or spread on with a butter knife or spatula
- Top with chopped up dark chocolate
Yes! Sign me up!
Subscribe to get our latest and greatest by email.