Taco Salad is crunchy, fresh and vibrant! Crisp lettuce is topped with flavorful seasoned ground beef, crunchy tortilla chips and all of our favorite taco toppings.
It’s so quick and simple it makes an easy weeknight meal!
Taco Salad Ingredients
What I love about taco salads is that you can customize it however you want. I have used everything from chicken to beef to shrimp to tofu. Yes, tofu.
- I use lean ground beef but ground turkey or chicken will work too. I have also used shredded chicken and shrimp.
- You can use Homemade Taco Seasoning or store bought works too!
- I am a huge fan of refried black or pinto beans but it makes it a little difficult to put in a salad, so whole black beans work great!
- Romaine or iceberg lettuce are crunchy and hold up well.
- Chop or tear it into bite sized pieces.
- Cheese – shredded Mexican cheese, cheddar, pepperjack or cotija cheese all work well!
- Tortilla Chips – Pick your favorite tortilla chips. Be sure to add just before serving so they stay crunchy! If you add too soon they can get soggy.
- Veggies – Add a delicious assortment of veggies like green onions, cilantro, olives, peppers, avocado, roasted corn and tomatoes just to name a few.
I personally love an avocado crema dressing for this salad. Just an avocado, sour cream, cumin, chili powder, cilantro (stems and all) and lime juice in a food processor and you’re set!
Taco Salads are a good alternative to taco night. Or if you’re like us, weekly cabbage enchilada night!
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1 package taco seasoning or homemade
- 1 cup black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 can diced green chilies
- 6 cups romaine or iceberg lettuce, chopped
- 1 cup tomatoes, chopped
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 avocado, diced
- 1 cup tortilla chipstoppings as desired olives, bell peppers, jalapenos, red or green onion
- 1 avocado
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- juice from 1 lime
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Brown beef over medium heat until no pink remains. Drain any fat.
- Add taco seasoning and ½ cup water. Simmer 5 minutes or until thickened. Add green chilies and black beans and stir
- Place lettuce in a large bowl and top with meat, tomatoes, cheese, avocado and desired toppings.
- Top each serving with tortilla chips, avocado crema (or sour cream and salsa is great too), cilantro and a squeeze of lime
Yes! Sign me up!
Subscribe to get our latest and greatest by email.