Pop quiz hot shot…
Omg…you are having friends over for dinner tonight and you totally spaced dessert! WHAT DO YOU DO? (ok a little dramatic but we have all totally been there). Lucky for you I have the solution because I have been in this position MANY times. My Shortcut Rustic Peach Galettes will be your new dinner-party-summer-go-to dessert.
You are not Martha, no one is, stop tryna be
Yes, you could make the pie dough from scratch but if you’re in a pinch like I am most evenings, I like to use prepared pie dough for this dessert. Sometimes you just can’t be Martha, and that is ok.
Ok….let’s make the Shortcut Rustic Peach Galette!
Thaw out your prepared frozen pie dough
Slice up your juicy peaches about 1/4 inches thick
Place the peaches in a large bowl and add the cinnamon, fresh thyme and ground cardamon (my secret ingredient). Also add the sugar and give it a toss to coat
Drain the peach mixture in a strainer, you will not miss the extra juices here because as the peaches bake, they release more yummy juice! Don’t worry, there is no shortage of peach juice here!
Roll out your prepared pie dough on a lightly floured surface
Place a pile of the peaches in the center of the pie dough and fold over the sides. There is no messing this up, this is a rustic dessert so no perfect pie pinches here!
Once the dough is folded over, brush the egg wash over the dough to make it golden brown while baking
Sprinkle raw sugar on the dough and over the peaches (I use turbinado sugar)
Sprinkle on a little more fresh thyme (this is such a nice herby compliment to the sweet peaches)
Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper and bake for 15 minutes
VOILA! You are a SHORTCUT MARTHA!
Shortcut Rustic Peach Galettes are my go-to for a quick Summer dessert for get togethers. They take minutes to prepare and are fabulous with ice cream!
Here are some more easy shortcut treats from AWLO!
- 2 packages of frozen or refrigerated pie crust (these usually come 2 to a package and this recipe will make 4!)
- 2 tablespoons of granulated sugar plus 1 tablespoon of raw (turbinado) sugar for sprinkling on pie dough
- 1 tablespoon of cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1 tablespoon of fresh thyme, chopped (plus more for sprinkling on top at the end)
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 5 ripe peaches, sliced into 1/4 inch slices (peel on)
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees
- Let pie dough thaw and gently lay out on a parchment lined baking sheet or baking stone
- In a large bowl, gently combine peach slices, granulated sugar, cinnamon, cardamom and thyme
- Strain peach mixture, you will have plenty of naturally released peach juice once it is baking
- Pile the peach mixture into the center of the pie dough and gently fold dough over (about a 2-inch border)
- This does NOT have to be perfect, it is a rustic looking dessert so no pie-pinches here!
- Brush the crust with egg wash
- Sprinkle turbinado sugar and fresh thyme over peaches and crust
- Bake in the oven until crust is golden, about 12-15 minutes
- Serve warm or at room temp with vanilla ice cream!
Yes! Sign me up!
Subscribe to get our latest and greatest by email.