This Moroccan Salad with Roasted Butternut Squash and Chickpeas are soon to be your absolute favorite lunch! Not only is it heart healthy, loaded with veggies and plant-based proteins, it is vegan and insanely delicious! It is all tied together with crispy Moroccan chickpeas and a tangy lemon vinaigrette. It sounds complicated you say? Nah, there is so much of this you can make ahead of time!
Make Ahead Ingredients…
Preheat the oven to 450 degrees.
Poke holes in your whole butternut squash using a sharp knife (sugary squash juices may bubble out, this is normal!)
Place the squash on a lined baking sheet and roast for an hour. THAT’S IT! Super easy and you won’t cut any limbs off in the process!
Another hack for this salad….
Buy the microwaveable quinoa packets. The quinoa cooks in 90 seconds and that is about 20 minutes you just saved yourself in prep time, YAY!
Prep your veggies….
Cut all of your veggies up the night before. I use this rule as often as I can…if I remember. You know….LIFE.
Perfectly Spiced Moroccan Chickpeas…
Mix up your spices (listed in the recipe card), set aside
Drain and rinse a can of chickpeas, pat dry
Using a plastic bag, dump the chickpeas in followed by olive oil and the spice mix. Give it a good shake!
Place in a single layer on a lined baking sheet and roast for about 30 minutes. These chickpeas are the perfect salad topper as well as snack!
- 1 packet microwaveable quinoa
- 1/2 butternut squash, peeled and cubed into bite-sized pieces
- 3 handfuls of spinach
- 2 cups of cucumber, diced
- Cherry or grape tomatoes, halved
- 1 head of raw (or you can steam this if you prefer softer) broccoli
- 1/2 cup cilantro, chopped
- 1/2 cup parsley, chopped
- roasted chickpeas
- pumpkin seeds
- 1 can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice (about juice from 1 lemon)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon salt (unless your chickpeas are salted, then use less)
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cayenne
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon honey (or a vegan sweetener)
- 1 teaspoon dijon mustard
- salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees
- Place rack in upper middle of oven and the other just below
- Poke holes in entire squash and roast on the top rack whole for an hour (see note below)
- Using a ziplock, toss chickpeas, spices, lemon juice and olive oil together, seal the bag and give it a good shake
- Once your squash cooking time has gone through 30 minutes, add your chickpea baking sheet to the lower rack and roast for 30 minutes
- While squash and chickpeas are roasting, chop up your veggies and microwave your quinoa
- Also prepare your salad dressing (simply place all of the lemon vinaigrette ingredients in a mason jar, seal and shake shake shake!
- Once your squash and chickpeas are done cooking, remove from oven and cut squash in half, let it cool for about 15 minutes
- Peel and cube the squash (again, all stuff you can do ahead of time!)
- Once cooled, layer the spinach, quinoa, cucumber, fresh tomatoes, broccoli and chopped herbs in a bowl
- Toss it with the lemon vinaigrette
- Top with the crispy chickpeas and pumpkin seeds
Yes! Sign me up!
Subscribe to get our latest and greatest by email.