Ok….I hate to say this but there would be something seriously wrong with you if you didn’t like scones. There I said it. 2 of my favorite flavors in one scone makes it absolutely irresistible for me. I need to stop making them because I have no self control when it comes to these bad boys. They are light yet rich and the fresh lemon/blueberry combo is perfection and the lemon glaze adds the perfect amount of sweetness. I use fresh blueberries for these scones because the frozen blueberries turn mushy once they thaw. Hence, the scone batter turns purple. Which would be actually cool for a Barney Birthday Party. What ever happened to Barney?
These are perfect for Easter brunch or really, any day of the week. Whip these up and let me know your thoughts!!!
Note: It is super important to have the butter chilled. I do not know the science behind it, but just trust me k? ENJOY!
- 2 cups flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- zest from 2 large lemons
- 6 tablespoons chilled butter, cut into cubes
- 1 cup fresh blueberries (don't use frozen here, they thaw out and get mushy and turn scones purple!)
- 3/4 cups heavy cream
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 teaspoon Vanilla Pura 100% Organic Vanilla
- 1 cup powdered sugar (plus more if you desired a thicker glaze)
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees
- Place rack on middle position in your oven
- Line a baking sheet with a silpat or parchment paper, set aside
- In a large bowl, mix flour, sugar, baking powder, salt and lemon zest
- Add chilled cubes of butter
- Using a pastry cutter or a fork, combine butter into dry ingredients
- It will look crumbly, that is what you want
- In another bowl, whisk cream, egg and vanilla
- Slowly drizzle wet ingredients over the dry and mix together using a spatula
- Mix by hand until everything looks moist
- Fold in the blueberries
- Dough will still be a little crumbly, do your best to form a ball and place on a lightly dusted, clean surface
- Press down on dough ball to create a disk
- Cut into 8 equal parts using a sharp knife (as you would a pie)
- Place scone dough on baking sheet at least 2 inches apart and bake for 20-25 minutes
- In a medium bowl, whisk powdered sugar, lemon juice and milk
- Drizzle glaze over scones just before serving
- These are such an easy and delicious way to start your morning! Perfect for brunch!
Yes! Sign me up!
Subscribe to get our latest and greatest by email.