Sorry for the super long title, I just wanted to make sure I got all of those important key words in there to entice you. Did it work? This is the perfect lunch or side salad! The trick is cutting the sprouts and kale into super thin slices because uncooked, it can be tough and fibrous. However, the acid in the lemon in the vinaigrette helps to soften up these superfoods, so it is a perfect dressing for a hearty salad such as this. To add to the healthy factor, I toasted up some almond slices, added some good-quality, crumbly feta (talk to your cheese counter person at the store, I found out that there are some out there that claim to be feta that are really not), and cooked up some quinoa. The textures in this salad are truly perfect and the flavor combo is right on. Oh also, it is ridiculously healthy.
Cam, my meat-loving hubby, really enjoyed this one! It is hearty, filling, and extremely nutritious. We added roasted chicken to ours because you know, meat. Pin this one to your “AMAZING salad” files and thank me later;)
Super heart healthy, full of protein and definitely full of taste! This salad is a flavor explosion! Crunchy kale and Brussel sprouts, toasted almonds, shaved parmesan, quinoa, feta and chicken tossed in a lemon vinaigrette, we have a winner!
- 4 cups kale- chiffonade (fancy word for finely shredded)
- 4 cups brussel sprouts-chiffonade
- 1/2 cup sliced almonds, toasted
- 1 cup cooked quinoa
- 1/4 cup really good feta
- 1 cup shredded chicken (I used rotisserie chicken)
- 1 Tablespoon minced shallots
- 2 Tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 1/4 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons lemon zest
- 2 teaspoons honey or agave nectar
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- Cook quinoa according to package
- Place almond slices in the oven for about 5-7 minutes at 400 degrees to toast (watch them they burn quick!)
- Remove from oven and set aside
- Remove leaves from the kale and discard stems, finely shred
- Peel outer leaves from Brussel sprouts and save to roast in the one for Brussel sprout chips later on!
- Cut sprouts in half and finely slice
- Toss kale, sprouts, toasted almonds, feta, shredded chicken and cooled quinoa in a bowl and toss
- FOR VINAIGRETTE:
- Place all ingredients in a mason jar and shake it up! Pour on salad and give it a toss!
Yes! Sign me up!
Subscribe to get our latest and greatest by email.