Need a lunch change from the same old tuna or turkey sandwiches? This Heart Healthy Chicken Tarragon Salad is just what you need. The tarragon adds the perfect subtle hint of herby goodness to your everyday plain Jane chicken salads. Tarragon plus the sweet burst of grape and crunchy celery and almonds is quite literally the perfect combination, next to peanut butter and jelly (or chocolate if you’re me).
Heart Healthy Tarragon Chicken Salad is made with Greek Yogurt…not mayo!
Tarragon Chicken Salad is made with Greek yogurt instead of mayo too to help reduce the fat. Plus I just think Greek yogurt has such a lovely tanginess and extra creaminess to the dish. It is so simple to make, it takes virtually no time. You can omit the tarragon if you are making it for your kiddos, you know how they get with not-totally-normal flavors! You won’t feel an ounce of guilt as they gobble it up either.
Tarragon Chicken Salad is the perfect low cal/low carb light lunch
Place a dollop of the salad in to cleaned and dried butter lettuce cups for a low carb, low cal lunch.
It makes a perfect appetizer too!
You can also place a dollop of this in to endive cups and they make the perfect appetizer. The endive cup is sturdy and portable so guests can grab and go.
We make this all the time in this house, it is a staple that my mom has been making since I was little. It is still as amazing to this day! Make a big batch this weekend and have it for lunch all week!
- 3/4 cup nonfat Greek yogurt (I just use 1 of the individual sized Face yogurts for this)
- 1 rotisserie chicken (I use just the breast meat for this salad but you can use dark too. Or just bake and shred 2 chicken breasts)
- 2/3 cup celery (about 1 large celery stalk) thinly sliced
- 1 cup grapes, halved
- 1/4 cup red onion, thinly sliced and diced
- 1/4 cup almond slices
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried tarragon (crush in one hand using the heel of the other and then add it, this releases the oils)
- pinch of salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- toasted cashews instead of almond slices
- butter lettuce cups
- Endive cups (great for an appetizer)
- Shred the rotisserie chicken in a bowl
- Add all ingredients and mix until well combined
- Add a spoonful of the greek chicken salad to each washed and dried lettuce cup for a low carb, low fat lunch!
- Or spoon a dollop of this salad mixture into an endive cup for a perfect little app at your next get together!
Yes! Sign me up!
Subscribe to get our latest and greatest by email.