WOO HOO! The weather is warming up, sun is out, it is about time for picnic’s and patio parties! THANK GOODNESS, I am over cold.
I have never eaten so much Greek Salad in my life until I met my husband. He loooooooves Greek Salads! We have made it so many times I cannot even count. Needless to say, we have it perfected. Often times I will add a type of pasta to it to add some bulk. To keep with the healthy theme that is Greek Salad, find a pasta that is veggie based. OR my favorite, chickpea pasta! I have also made this salad with quinoa, quinoa pasta, brown rice pasta, faro, barley, the possibilities are endless.
Also, a little tip: If you don’t love the super ONION-Y taste of red onions, soak the sliced onions in the some cold water for about 10 minutes. It helps take away that taste! (Same goes for radishes, which I am not a fan of the taste unless I soak them first, weird I know!)
The lemon vinaigrette goes perfectly with this. It really adds a freshness and makes the salad pop!
This salad is perfect for a summer dinner in the backyard, a picnic at the park, or just lunch on a Tuesday. Kiddos will love this salad too because it involves pasta. I am no expert but I would say 99% of children love pasta, am I right? Maybe just omit the olives to make it kid friendly (I just wasn’t an olive fan when I was little). Unless they want to stick them on their fingers and wave them around, then it is ok.
- 12 ounces dry pasta (for this one I used rotini but you can use anything)
- 1 English cucumber, diced (I like English because you don't have to spend time removing seeds)
- 1 pint of cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 handfuls of spinach, roughly chopped
- 3/4 cup pitted kalamata olives, halved
- 4 ounces feta, crumbled
- 1/2 of a medium sized red onion, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice (juice from half a lemon)
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon honey
- 2 garlic cloves, mined
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- dash of red pepper flakes
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil and cook the pasta according to package
- Drain pasta, rinse under cold water to stop cooking process, transfer pasta to a large mixing bowl
- Add cucumbers, tomatoes, olives, spinach, feta and onion to the mixing bowl
- Drizzle lemon vinaigrette on top and toss (see notes if making pasta salad for later on)
- Serve immediately, top with extra pepper and feta if desired
- **If you are making this for later in the day, cover and put in fridge. The dressing will absorb in the pasta so reserve half of the dressing to drizzle on just before serving
- Whisk all the ingredients together. EASY PEASY! (Again, I love the mason jar for dressings, just shake it up and no mess!)
Yes! Sign me up!
Subscribe to get our latest and greatest by email.