Cabbage Wrapped Enchiladas will change your life…
If you are trying to cut carbs, these cabbage enchiladas are the way to go
Cut the end off of the cabbage head and run under warm-hot water. This will help allow the leaves to soften and not be as brittle. This method will help the leaves come off in one piece.
Place a few spoonfuls of refried black beans (or whatever type of bean you like) in the center and smoosh down (that is the technical term for it)
You won’t miss the tortilla, trust me!
That is how you prep the leaves! Now, buying tortillas is way easier….but this is a healthier, unprocessed option. It is delicious and like I said….what tortilla???
Spray a baking dish lightly with cooking spray and spoon enough enchilada sauce in the dish to just cover the bottom.I really, really enjoy carbs and they are definitely welcome back in my life with open arms. However it is not necessary with this recipe!
You will not even miss the tortilla in these deliciously cheesy enchiladas! The homemade enchilada sauce adds so much freshness and flavor to an already delicious entree. Full of sautéed chilies and onions with the ground chicken, this enchilada recipe does not disappoint!
20 minPrep Time
30 minCook Time
50 minTotal Time
- 1 lb ground chicken or beef
- 1 head of cabbage
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cans chopped green chilies (I used Hatch, one can mild, one can hot)
- 1 small yellow onion, diced
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon (or more) cayenne
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 cups of my Enchilada Sauce (or used store bought)
- 1/4-1/2 cup shredded Mexican blend cheese (if gluten-free make sure to read label to make sure!)
- 1 can refried black beans (my personal fave but you can use any beans here)
- Garnish with chopped cilantro & sour cream
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees
- Cut stem of cabbage head off
- Run head of cabbage under warm water to soften, start peeling leaves in big chunks
- In a pot, boil 2 cups of water with a teaspoon salt
- place 1-2 leaves at a time in boiling water and boil for 30 seconds, fully submerging the cabbage leaf
- Remove and set on a paper towel to drain and cool
- Meanwhile while cooling, heat up a skillet on medium-high heat and add 1 tablespoon olive oil, diced onions and 2 cans of green chilies. Sauté until onions become translucent, about 3 minutes
- Add chicken or beef and begin to brown meat (about 3 minutes until it should start to brown)
- Once meat is slightly browned, add cumin, cayenne, salt and pepper and combine with meat, breaking up meat as you go, about another 2 minutes
- Remove protein from hot skillet and set aside on a paper towel (if you leave in the skillet, it will cook the protein longer)
- In a baking dish, add a thin layer of enchilada sauce to the bottom
- To assemble, place cabbage leaf on a cutting board, add a few spoons full of beans, meat mixture, enchilada sauce and cheese to center of leaf
- Roll up like you would an enchilada, place seam side down in baking dish
- Once you squeeze in as many enchiladas as you can, top with more enchilada sauce and cheese
- Bake uncovered for 15-20 minutes
- Garnish with chopped cilantro, lime. jalapeños, green onion, sour cream
- Drink a margarita with it;)
Yes! Sign me up!
Subscribe to get our latest and greatest by email.