If you are trying to cut carbs, these cabbage enchiladas are the way to go
Mastering the art of handling cabbage
You won’t miss the tortilla, trust me!
That is how you prep the leaves! Now, buying tortillas is way easier….but this is a healthier, unprocessed option. It is delicious and like I said….what tortilla???
I really, really enjoy carbs and they are definitely welcome back in my life with open arms. However it is not necessary with this recipe!
You will not even miss the tortilla in these deliciously cheesy enchiladas! The homemade enchilada sauce adds so much freshness and flavor to an already delicious entree. Full of sautéed chilies and onions with the ground chicken, this enchilada recipe does not disappoint!
20 minPrep Time
30 minCook Time
50 minTotal Time
- 1 lb ground chicken
- 1 head of cabbage
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cans chopped green chilies (I used Hatch, one can mild, one can hot)
- 1 small yellow onion, diced
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon (or more) cayenne
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 cups of my Enchilada Sauce (or used store bought)
- 1/4-1/2 cup shredded Mexican blend cheese (if gluten-free make sure to read label to make sure!)
- Garnish with chopped cilantro
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Cut stem of cabbage head off
- Run head of cabbage under warm water to soften, start peeling leaves in big chunks
- In a pot, boil 2 cups of water with a teaspoon salt
- place 1-2 leaves at a time in boiling water and boil for 30 seconds, fully submerging the cabbage leaf
- Remove and set on a paper towel to drain and cool
- Meanwhile while cooling, heat up a skillet on medium-high heat and add 1 tablespoon olive oil, diced onions and 2 cans of green chilies. Sauté until onions become translucent, about 3 minutes
- Add chicken and begin to brown meat (about 3 minutes until it should start to brown)
- Once meat is slightly browned, add cumin, cayenne, salt and pepper and combine with meat, breaking up meat as you go, about another 2 minutes
- Remove chicken from hot skillet and set aside on a paper towel (if you leave in the skillet, it will cook the chicken longer)
- In a baking dish, add a thin layer of enchilada sauce to the bottom
- To assemble, place cabbage leaf on a cutting board, add a few spoons full of meat mixture in center of leaf
- Add a spoonful of enchilada sauce and a sprinkle of cheese
- Roll up like you would an enchilada, place seam side down in baking dish
- Once you squeeze in as many enchiladas as you can, top with more enchilada sauce and cheese
- Cover baking dish with foil and bake for 25 minutes
- Remove foil and bake uncovered for another 5 minutes
- Garnish with chopped cilantro and lime
- Drink a margarita with it;)
Yes! Sign me up!
Subscribe to get our latest and greatest by email.