Ummmm I don’t even know where to begin here other than by saying BROWN BUTTER IS LIFE. Talk about adding a super rich flavor to your everyday chocolate chip cookies. Browning the butter enhances the flavor so much and really takes this cookie to the next level. I made a batch of these the other day and brought some into my boss. He asked me the best question a cook can hear, “Is there crisco in these?” That was the best compliment ever. Because NO. There is no Crisco. Just ya know, lot’s of buttah.
My secret to this is to melt one stick of salted and one stick of unsalted butter. I reduced my regular cookie salt measurement by half because I knew I would be adding salt with this butter and sprinkling a few flecks of flakey sea salt on top.
Another secret weapon is a really good-quality vanilla. I recently partnered with Vanilla Pura, a company based out of Utah. All 100% organic vanilla beans from Mexico, Tahiti and Indonesia. A vanilla like this will take your baked goods to the next level! (For 30% off your order, enter AWHOLELOTTAOVEN30 in the promo code at checkout. Bottles come in 100 ml and 250 ml)
No one said these were healthy. But they are worth the calories!!! Maybe just don’t eat 10 in one sitting….
These cookies freeze really well too if you don’t eat them all in one day!
- 2 1/4 cup All-Purpose Flour
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 stick salted butter
- 1 stick unsalted butter
- 1 1/4 cup packed brown sugar (dark or light)
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla Pura 100% Organic Vanilla Extract
- 1 Ghiradelli Chocolate Baking Bar, chopped into small chunks
- 3/4 cups Ghiradelli Milk Chocolate Chips
- Sea Salt (I used the fancy flaked kind to sprinkle on top)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- In a saucepan over low- medium heat, place salted and unsalted sticks of butter in pan and start to melt, stirring constantly for about 5 minutes
- The butter will bubble and there will be a nutty fragrance, remove from heat and place in a separate bowl, cool (I stuck mine in freezer for about 8 minutes because I have no patience)
- Using an electric mixer, beat sugars and melted butter together
- Add eggs and vanilla, beat well
- In a separate bowl, mix flour, soda, powder, and salt
- Slowly incorporate dry ingredients in with wet
- Add chocolate chunks and chips, mix well
- Chill dough for about 10 mins
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or silpat
- Using a scooper or spoon, scoop out dough and roll into ball
- Place on a lined baking sheet about 2-3 inches apart
- Bake for 12 minutes
- Sprinkle sea salt or fancy flakey salt on top
- EAT ALL OF THE COOKIES
Yes! Sign me up!
Subscribe to get our latest and greatest by email.