My fave berry right now is blackberry, I can’t get enough of it! That is why creating these Blackberry Crumble Bars were a no brainer. They can be pretty tart when eaten raw, but when you bake with blackberries, it is a whole different world!
These Blackberry Crumble Bars are sweet, tart, crunchy and chew all at once and are DECADENT when served warm with a scoop of vanilla bean ice cream.
Also, don’t be embarrassed to eat this for breakfast, lunch and or dinner. That is what I do and I turned out ok. I think.
MORE DESSERTS FROM AWLO!
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 sticks (1 cup) cold butter, cut into small pieces
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 4 cups fresh blackberries
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 3/4 cups granulated sugar
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees
- Grease 9x13 inch baking dish with either butter or cooking spray
- Line the base of the baking dish with parchment paper so just a few inches stick out of 2 of the sides. The point of this is that once it is done cooking and cools, you are able to easily lift it out of the baking dish and cut into bars
- Toss blackberries with lemon juice, sugar and cornstarch and let sit at room temp for about 20 minutes
- While berries soak, in a large mixing bowl, add flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt
- Add the small cold butter chunks and start cutting with a pastry cutter so the butter is in pea-sized chunks. You can use your fingers here too to break up if you don't have a pastry cutter
- Stir in the beaten egg and combine
- Press half of the dough mixture in the bottom of the baking dish
- Spoon the blackberry mixture on top of the pressed dough in the baking dish
- Sprinkle the other half of the dough mixture on top, do not press down here, just let it be loose and in chunks
- Bake for 30-35 minutes or until top is golden brown
- Remove from oven and let cool
- Lift out of the baking dish by grabbing the sides of the parchment paper
- Cut into bars and serve with vanilla bean ice cream!
Yes! Sign me up!
Subscribe to get our latest and greatest by email.