Ohhh the weather outside is….well…sunny and 70 degrees. This is so not normal for Colorado the last day in November. But I won’t complain, because in about a week I am sure we will get some sort of blizzard! Then I will be like, remember the sun? I miss that. Anywho….with all this sunshine and warmth, I felt like a light citrus-y salad was the way to go for dinner. This salad is full of heart healthy ingredients. Not to mention it is a simple salad that doesn’t require a ton of work! I love that!
The most work comes from making the dressing, I hardly call it work. Mostly the work is sautéing the shallots. Big whoop. I have really been into making my own dressings. The ingredients are pure and I control what goes in and how it tastes. It definitely tastes fresher to me when it is homemade.
Try this salad out this weekend for a light, healthy change from the comfort foods of the holiday season!
Sidenote- I added shredded roasted chicken to our salad because, you know, Cam. But this salad can go either way!
This heart healthy salad is chalk full of vitamins & mineral. It packs a powerful punch! The peppery arugula, citrus-y lemon vinaigrette, and tangy feta all combine into one amazing salad that could stand on it's own as the main course for dinner.
30 minPrep Time
30 minCook Time
1 hrTotal Time
- 1 1/2 cups pearled barley
- 1 1/2 cup water
- 1 1/2 cup vegetable broth
- 1/4 cup olive oil, plus 1 Tablespoon for barley water
- 2 Tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 shallot, finely chopped
- Salt & pepper
- 2 cups arugula (you can chop if you choose, I left mine whole leaf)
- 1/2 cups chopped pistachios (Ummmm make sure to take them out of the shell first. :/ )
- 1/3 cup chopped preserve lemon (this can be tough to find, you can also chop fresh lemon into tiny pieces and let it soak in olive juice for about 20 minutes, it will give it the same flavor)
- 1/4 cup fresh chives, chopped
- 3 ounces feta cheese
- Add barley, broth, water and 1 Tablespoon olive oil in a pot and bring to a boil
- Add in bay leaves
- Reduce heat, cover and simmer about 25 minutes, until liquid evaporates
- Remove from heat when done, discard bay leaves
- In a small bowl, whisk together olive oil, shallot, lemon juice and a pinch of salt and pepper
- Let the vinaigrette sit for 10 minutes
- Meanwhile, add arugula, barley, pistachios, preserved lemon and chives to a large salad bowlAdd dressing and Toss, add more salt and pepper if need be
- Fold in feta, sprinkle more pistachios on top if you choose
- Serve at room temperature
- Optional: add shredded chicken
- **This will keep in the fridge in a sealed container for up to 4 days
Yes! Sign me up!
Subscribe to get our latest and greatest by email.